" The base of the monument includes allegoric reliefs representing human misery inflicted by plague, famine and war.
On the top of the pedestal are statues of saints and the column crowned with the statue representing Holy Trinity.
The monument was commissioned by Timisoara’s counselor Anton Deschan von Hansen and installed in 1740 in front of his house.
The statue reflects his personal grief due to the loss of wife to the plague that stroke Timisoara few years earlier and suffering of his compatriots during the wars with Turks. In 1752, the monument was moved to the Union Square. "
In the background we can see St. George's Cathedral.
Union Square (Piata Unirii) - "so-named for the imposing sight of the Romano-Catholic and Serbian Orthodox Cathedrals facing each other. "
The statue of the Holy Trinity (“The plague monument”):
Folder: Romania / Rumunija
Uploaded: May 7, 2016