"Đurđevi stupovi (Serbian Cyrillic: Ђурђеви cтупови) (English: The Tracts of Saint George, often incorrectly translated as The Pillars of Saint George) is a 12th-century Serbian Orthodox monastery located in the vicinity of today's city of Novi Pazar, in the Raška region of Serbia.
History: The Tracts of Saint George Monastery is near Novi Pazar, on the top of prominent elevation covered with woods. Monastery was erected around 1170 year as an endowment of Grand Prince Stefan Nemanja. The monastery is exceptional not only for its position and significance it had according to biographic texts, but also for its particular architecture. It was named after the church dedicated to Saint George and its two former bell towers, two high towers – pillars (old Slavic language- stolp, stub). Namely, according to Stefan Prvovencani, Nemanja had built this church to commemorate his gratitude to St. George for saving him from dungeons-caves where he was put by his brothers. (...)"
Folder: South Serbia
Uploaded: Jul 17, 2015