"The Monastery of the Annunciation (Greek: Ιερά Μονή Ευαγγελισμού της Θεοτόκου), commonly known as the Evangelistria Monastery (Greek: Ιερά Μονή Ευαγγελίστριας), is a monastery dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary which sits on a hillside some 4 km north of Skiathos town on the Greek island of Skiathos.
The monastery was founded in 1794 by a group of Kollyvades monks, who had left the monastery of Mount Athos after disagreements about matters of Christian ritual. They were led by an ordained monk, Niphon of Chios, and included Gregorios Hatzistamatis, a local monk who had inherited land on Skiathos from his father.
In 1807, a group of Greek freedom fighters met at the monastery and swore the Oath of Freedom on a newly designed Greek flag, a white cross on a sky-blue background, which was woven on a loom at the site.
The museum houses ecclesiastical artefacts and presents information on the history of the Monastery such as priests' vestments, rare books and manuscripts from the 17th century, gospels from the 18th century, silver and wooden crosses and Byzantine icons. The loom on which the first Greek flag was created can be seen. There is also a photographic record of the subsequent Greek War of Independence, which lasted from 1821 until 1829.
A small folklore museum is housed in an old olive press with an unusual collection of ancient musical instruments..."
Uploaded: Jun 29, 2016