The lighthouse site has been important for
centuries. General James Oglethorpe,
Georgia's founder, built Fort St. Simons here
in 1738 to help defend Georgia against
Spanish attack. The English evacuated the
post four years later as a Spanish fleet and
army approached from Florida.
Spain then used the fort as a base for its
operations against Fort Frederica. The plan
to lay siege to that post came to an end at the
Battles of Gully Hole Creek and Bloody Marsh
and the Spanish withdrew from St. Simons
Island. Fort St. Simons was left in ruins.
Folder: Places to Visit
Uploaded: Apr 15, 2015