At the beginning of the First World War the German U-boat (unterseeboot or submarine) had become a major threat. Its large-scale destruction of merchant shipping caused not only great loss of life but also a fear that the British population would be fatally starved of materials and food. At one stage there were only six weeks of food reserves left (April 1916).
Between 1915 and 1918 the Admiralty Experimental Establishment Station located at Hawkcraig Point in the Firth of Forth’s coastal village of Aberdour, Fife was the centre of a highly concentrated effort to defeat the German U-boats. It was the Navy’s main hydrophone research and training base. These hydrophones (or underwater microphone receivers) were the forerunner of today’s sophisticated sonar systems. The naval establishment was named HMS Tarlair.
The Hawkcraig experiments were under the command of Captain Cyril P Ryan, RN (pictured).
The work carried out at HMS Tarlair is of local and national interest. During its short period of operation, major technological advances were achieved, not only in the detection of submarines, and it was one of the first instances of collaborative work between civil and military scientists and researchers.
The staff from HMS Tarlair were also responsible for fitting submarines with hydrophones and issuing special sets of hydrophones to the 1,500 drifters and motor launches in the Auxiliary patrol, which was the major part of the Navy’s anti-submarine force.
Informations from www.hmstarlairfife.org.uk
Copyright 2016 By Jeremy Lavender Photography
Uploaded: Sep 10, 2016