"Kastro ("Castle") is sat on a high cliff which protrudes out over the sea and is a natural fortress - it's located at the high northern part of Skiathos. It was originally settled during the 14th Century because of the threat from pirates on the lower coastal part of the island. Initially under the control of the Byzantine empire it was also occupied by the Venetians and then the Turks, then the Venetians again until the Greek State was formed. The town was also protected itself by the use of a drawbridge the remains of which can still be seen - eventually Kastro was abandoned around 1830. There are still many ruins scattered around the hillside showing that the population at one time must have been quite large. There were also a lot of churches in Kastro and several of these have now been restored with more slowly being sorted out as money permits."
Uploaded: Aug 7, 2016