Margrave Georg Wilhelm founded the Hermitage on the site of a zoo belonging to his father Christian Ernst. In 1715 the Old Palace was begun as the focal point of the hermitage. In the palace and the scattered hermit's huts in the woods the court played at being members of a hermits' order.
From 1735 Margravine Wilhelmine added further formal sections with boskets, avenues and water features to the gardens originally laid out by Margrave Georg Wilhelm. Although traditional baroque elements were used, the result was not a typical baroque garden: the complex is not dominated by a main axis and the individual garden sections are more independent from one another than was usual in the high baroque era.
Uploaded: Jul 17, 2015
Tags: Margrave Georg Wilhelm, Hermitage Court Garden, Bayreuth, Germany, Bavaria, trees, sun, shadow, path, schatten, Temple of the Sun, Sonnentempel, stattliche Schlösser, Margravine Wilhelmine, eremitage, hermitage