The plains of Livno have been populated since approximately 2000 BC, and well into the Roman era. Before the Roman conquest it has been inhabited by the indigenous Iron Age population known to the ancient writers as the Delmatae. During the Roman period, the city was known as Pelva. It is assumed that the Slavs arrived to the region in the 7th century. The Illyrian population assimilated into the Slav culture, and eventurally lost their language and customs. Through the next three centuries, they turned to Christianity.
Livno celebrates its founding as being 28 September 892 AD due to it being mentioned in a document of the Croatian Duke Mutimir released at that time. It was the centre of Hlebiana (ή Χλεβίανα) županija (province) of the Kingdom of Croatia, as mentioned in the tenth century work De Administrando Imperio (chapter 30). From 1199 Emeric until 1326 Mladen II Šubić of Bribir, who was a resident of Livno, it was part of the Chelmensis territory. From 1326 until 1463 Livno was part of the Bosnian Kingdom. One of the noble families of the Bosnian Kingdom bought Livno, Duvno, and Kupres (12th to 13th century) then called "Tropolje," (Three Fields).
The beginning of 15th century saw the Ottoman Empire advance, invade, and occupy Bosnia for the next 400 years. Mosque complex in the picture (left) the Hajji Ahmed the Ducat Minter's Mosque (more commonly known as the Glavica ("Head") Mosque, called after the knap above town on which is erected) is one of the most recognizable architectural symbols of Livno. Constructed upon design by Mimar Sinan in 1574. (some date to 1587), it is situated on a hill overlooking old town of livno, the river Bistrica and the spring Duman in the upper section of the old town of Livno. The mosque complex consists of compact main building of the mosque under a dome and uncharacteristically short minaret, with a clock tower which is erected some 100 years later, between 1670.- 1680. but more likely in 1659. and is still in function today, and finally within perimeter is almost 500 years old necropolis with characteristic early Bosnian Muslim tombstones and later ones.
In 1878 Livno was occupied by the Austro-Hungarian Empire. From 1918 it was part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. In 1929 the kingdom was renamed the Kingdom of Yugoslavia and divided into nine banates (banovine). Livno was divided into the Littoral Banovina, with its centre in the city of Split. This division brought Livno politically closer to Croatia. In 1939, the banates were further redrawn so that there was a Croatian banate (Banovina Hrvatska) of which Livno was also part. From 1941-45, Livno was part of the Independent State of Croatia. Croatian writer Ivan Goran Kovačić joined the Partisans where he wrote his epic poem "Jama" ("The Pit"). He finished his poem in Livno. At the end of World War II, Livno was a part of Socialist Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Yugoslavia, and after its collapse in 1995, a part of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Uploaded: Oct 17, 2015