Kragujevac is the fourth largest city in Serbia, the administrative centre of Šumadija District. It is situated on the banks of the Lepenica River. According to the official results of the 2011 census, the city has a population of 179,417 inhabitants.
Kragujevac was the first capital of modern Serbia (1818–39); the first constitution in the Balkans was proclaimed in the city in 1835. Further on, the first full-fledged university in the newly independent Serbia was founded in 1838, preceded by the first grammar school, printworks (both in 1833), professional National theatre (1835) and the Military academy (1837). The city was the site of a massacre by the Nazis, in which thousands of Serbs were murdered.
Contemporary Kragujevac is known for its weapons and munition (Zastava Arms) and automobile industry (Fiat Automobili Srbija).
Folder: Kragujevac, Serbia
Uploaded: Apr 18, 2016